What does it take to survive and win the hyper-competitive world of startups? This includes cracking the code on understanding the necessary mindset, managing your company, making your numbers work, avoiding hidden traps that kill startups, how to pitch your business and breaking out of a failed plan.
Meet other entrepreneurs in a relaxed social setting at monthly socials!
- July 18, 2019 – Marketing Your Startup at Piggly Wiggly in Newport News
- Aug. 7, 2019 – Social Gathering at St. George Brewing Company in Hampton
- Aug. 15, 2019 – Forming a Legal Entity at Denbigh Community Center in Newport News
- Sept. 4, 2019 – Pitch Perfect at Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce in Hampton
- Sept. 19, 2019 – Pitch Perfect at Piggly Wiggly in Newport News
All events are from 6-8 p.m.
2019 Military Job Fair Sponsored by the Military Affairs Council of the Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
Connect with employers that are ready to hire at the 2019 Military Job Fair. Job search assistance available for all. Computers available. There will be three seminars:
- How to Work a Job Fair – 8:15 a.m.
- Federal Workshop – 9:15 a.m.
- Employers Panel – 10:30 a.m.
This event is open to active-duty/retired military, reservist, DOD civilians, dependents and veterans from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. and to the general public from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.
Dress for success. No children permitted. Resume preferred.
Thursday, July 18 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Newport News Marriott at City Center, 740 Town Center Drive, Newport News, VA 23606
For more information, please contact 757-325-8162 or email Megan at email@example.com.
Military Affairs Council of the Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce in collaboration with the Military Family Support Center Employment Programs
Join Williamsburg SCORE and the Greater Williamsburg Business Council on Wednesday, July 24 at the Stryker Center to learn about growing your business with Google. Limited number of spaces available—register today! The workshop includes both sessions for $15 in advance and $20 the day of the event.
Reach Customers Online with Google
This session is designed to help you learn how customers find your business online and how to promote your business using Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Smart Campaigns in Google Ads.
In this session, learn best practices for:
- Improving your website’s visibility in Google’s organic search results, on all devices
- Creating a free Google My Business listing
- Advertising your business on Google
Get Your Business Online
Google My Business is a free tool for local businesses who want to connect with customers on Google Search and Maps. Live demo showing tips and tricks when using your business profile.
In this session, learn how to:
- Create or claim your Google My Business listing
- Manage your business information across Google Search and Maps
- Use Google My Business to connect with practical customers
- Create a free website using the information from your listing
$15 in advance, $20 at the door
Wednesday, July 24 from 8:30 a.m. until noon
Stryker Center, 412 N. Boundary Street, Williamsburg, VA, 23185
Williamsburg SCORE and the Greater Williamsburg Business Council
Home-Based Business Lunch & Learn Series
Home-based businesses are invited to bring a bag lunch and enjoy free drinks and desserts. Each month a different locality will host a monthly session with networking, a keynote speaker and Q&A. Topics vary each month. Please view the flyer for complete details.
- Aug. 14 – Working From Home & Making It Work featuring Zee Worstell of Cumuli Learning Platforms
- Sept. 11 – Pivot Point: Recognizing When Change is Needed featuring Bill Dittmar of Executive Fusion
- Oct. 9 – Perfecting Your Presentation: Passion, Connection and Relevance featuring Curtis Cobert of the City of Hampton
- Nov. 13 – Quickbooks Quick & Dirty: Tips on Proper Bookkeeping featuring Karen Burnett of By the Book, Inc.
- Dec. 11 – Home-Based for the Holidays: Lunch & Learn Wrap-Up Event featuring Marilen Crump of Artinspired
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-890-3317.
Please view the flyer for complete details.
This series is sponsored by the Counties of York, Gloucester, James City and the Cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson and Williamsburg.
Nonprofit Management Institute
The Nonprofit Management Institute (Institute) is a joint initiative of the Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center and NetworkPeninsula. The Institute began in January 2019. The goal of the Institute is to educate nonprofit professionals and equip them with best practices in all areas of nonprofit management, leadership and development.
- Classes will be held at Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center in Williamsburg on Fridays from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Actual class time will be five hours with one hour for lunch and two 15-minute breaks.
- Participants will receive .5 CEUs per class plus five CFRE points per class.
- The pilot year will include classes for participants to complete a Certificate in Fundraising Management and/or a Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership. Some classes can also be applied to additional Certificate programs, which will be added in subsequent years. These will include Certificates in Resource Development, Organizational Development, Financial/Legal Management, Volunteer Management, and Board Education. Ultimately, students will have an opportunity to pursue a Certificate in Nonprofit Management by completing a number of courses.
- Aug. 23, 2019 – Conflict Resolution (Nonprofit Leadership and Volunteer Management)
- Sept. 13, 2019 – Team Building Techniques & Creative Facilitation (Nonprofit Leadership and Volunteer Management)
- Oct. 11, 2019 – Board Governance (Nonprofit Leadership and Board Education)
- Nov. 8, 2019 – Essentials of Human Resource Management (Nonprofit Leadership and Organizational Development)
- Dec. 6, 2019 – Time & Meeting Management (Nonprofit Leadership)
*This class is required for anyone working toward the Certificate in Fundraising Management who has less than 3 years of experience in a fundraising position.
Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center, 4135 Ironbound Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188
To register, please visit http://networkpeninsula.org/nmi/ for complete directions.
$75 for NetworkPeninsula members and $85 for all others
Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center and Network Peninsula