Guardianship of an adult is appointed when Circuit Court determines a person is “incapacitated” and unable to make decision on his or her own behalf. The person appointed by the Court to make decisions for the incapacitated adult is referred to as a “guardian.”

Guardians are required to submit initial and annual reports about the incapacitated adult’s condition to the local department of social services where the incapacitated adult resides. The report form can be found on the Virginia Courts website. Reports must be accompanied with a $5 filing fee, made payable to James City County Social Services.

Additional Resources: