James City County
CERTIFIED POLICE OFFICERS!
You are receiving this email as a subscriber to James City County's "Notify Me" feature for Police Department Employment. We are happy to announce that we are now accepting applications for Police Officer I and II from candidates who are already certified law enforcement officers in Virginia (e.g. police officer, patrol deputy). Requires existing Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Basic Law Enforcement (BLE) certification, to include completed DCJS-approved field training. Please see the below information and visit our website for more information.
Visit JCC Career Center to apply. Be sure to complete all sections of your profile (application). Open until filled.
Police Officer I/II
Positions include Full-time Benefits. Fixed starting salaries are listed below. Level hired is dependent upon qualifications.
- Police Officer I (VA DCJS BLE certified) – $43,500
- Police Officer II (VA DCJS BLE certified, plus other qualifications) – $45,674
James City County Police Department (JCCPD) is seeking already certified (BLE) Police Officer candidates to join a professional team dedicated to improving the quality of life in the Greater Williamsburg area.
Newly hired police officers will be on a shift assigned to patrolling various areas of the County in a marked police vehicle. Patrol officers work 5 days. JCCPD offers a number of opportunities for career development, specialized assignments and training including: honor guard, SWAT, bike patrol, school resource officers (5), uniform and marine patrols, underwater search & recovery, crisis negotiations, motorcycles, tactical field force, and investigations (various qualifications are required for special assignments, teams, and units).
The County offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including a take-home car program for those living in or within 15 driving miles of the County; participation in Virginia Retirement System (VaLORS) with Hazardous Duty Supplement (LEOS); 11 paid holidays; tuition assistance ($5,250/year max); a home ownership program with up to $3,000 in matching closing costs; a free membership to the JCC Recreation Center
(fitness, free weights, pool, track); and eligibility for career advancement pay increases.Responsibilities:
- Work requires obtaining and/or maintaining sworn law enforcement officer status to maintain public peace, protect life and property, enforce laws, and conduct investigations according to departmental policies and with minimal supervision. The officer is expected to perform specialized and involved tasks, administrative duties, including the investigation of complex incidents or criminal acts.
- Operates police vehicle to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and disturbances of law and order: responds to radio dispatches; answers calls and complaints; responds to major crime calls (robbery, rape, murder, maiming, burglary, etc.); performs foot patrols to serve as a deterrent to criminal activity and to enhance the department’s Community Policing philosophy; investigates complaints and issues summonses or makes arrests; prepares detailed reports and maintains records.
- Detects and investigates crimes: conducts surveillance of individuals, vehicles, or locations; interviews victims, suspects, and witnesses; collects and identifies evidence and property; seizes contraband and/or evidence; protects crime scenes; investigates traffic crashes.
- Apprehends and arrests suspects, using weapons when necessary; obtains, verifies, and executes arrest warrants; conducts high risk felony vehicle stops; detains, searches, arrests, and handcuffs persons, as required; subdues and disarms resisting or attacking persons; transports and handles prisoners.
- Prepares for and gives legal testimony; appears in court as a designated investigating officer.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires existing Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Basic Law Enforcement (BLE) certification, to include completed DCJS-approved field training.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must meet all qualifications listed in Code of Virginia 15.2-1705,
- Must have a high school education or GED (some college preferred)
- Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria
- Must not have been convicted of or plead guilty or no contest to:
- any felony
- any offense involving moral turpitude
- any misdemeanor sex offense
- domestic assault
- Must not have any automatic disqualifiers
- Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening.
- If conditionally accepted for a position, undergo:
- a thorough background investigation including fingerprint-based criminal history records inquiries to both the CCRE and FBI
- a polygraph examination, psychological screening, and fitness assessment
- a physical examination and drug test
To be considered, all applicants should attach copies of educational certificate(s) or diploma(s), any related training documents and military DD 214 (if applicable) to the application. Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully-completed application is required. All complete applications will be reviewed, to include driving record and criminal history checks related to the Code of Virginia and JCCPD’s automatic disqualifiers. Selected applicants will continue to an in-person panel interview. A thorough background investigation will be completed, to include: fingerprint-based criminal history check through CCRE and FBI, sex offender registry check, polygraph (lie detector), character and employment reference checks, credit history, psychological and fitness assessment, and medical exam with hearing and drug tests.
Click here to read more information, to include steps in the recruiting / hiring process and the list of automatic disqualifiers. Click here to view the full job description.
Questions about the Department and the recruitment process may be directed to Stephanie Williams by email or by calling 757-259-5173. Questions about filling out an application may be directed to HR by email or by calling 757-253-6680.
Accepting applications until filled. Be sure to fill out all sections of your profile (application).
James City County is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.