James City County Fire Department is Accepting Applications
Apply for an exciting career opportunity
in firefighting and emergency medical services!
We are currently accepting applications for firefighter positions to fill current vacancies and create a hiring pool of eligible applicants to fill future vacancies. There is no closing date.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license (or ability to obtain)
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- No automatic disqualifiers are met
- Satisfactory results of post-conditional offer assessments including extensive background investigation, polygraph exam, criminal history/sex offender check, credential check, driving record check, physical exam, drug screening and psychological assessment.
- Virginia or National Registry Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate or Paramedic
- Hampton Roads Fire Academy or Tidewater Regional Fire Academy graduate or equivalent (as determined by James City County Fire Department)
- College degree, and/or military experience.
If needed, James City County Fire Department will send you to the Hampton Roads Fire Academy (16 weeks), as well as, provide training for EMT and Advanced EMT certifications. A 5% increase is awarded when the fire academy and EMT are completed. Pay incentive (up to $6,000 added to base salary) and tuition assistance program (up to $5,250 per year) are provided to encourage paramedic training. Firefighters have 4 career ladder levels based on years of service, training and education.
Starting salary is $41,428-$51,503 or higher DOQ.
Please visit our Employment page for information about the application and hiring process, FAQ, automatic disqualifiers and physical ability testing. All applications must be submitted online through the James City County Career Center. Create a profile and apply!
Contact a recruiter for any questions at Fire.Recruiting@jamescitycountyva.gov or call 757-565-7650.
James City County is a Virginia Values Veterans (V3) employer.