What is a Food Service Establishment (FSE)?

For the purpose of the regulatory requirements of the JCSA’s Fats Oil and Grease (FOG) Program, an FSE is any commercial, industrial, institutional, or food processing facility discharging kitchen or food preparation wastewaters including, but not limited to, restaurants, commercial kitchens, caterers, motels, hotels, cafeterias, correctional facilities, prisons or jails, care institutions, hospitals, schools, bars, and churches. Any establishment engaged in preparing, serving, or otherwise making food available for consumption by the public shall be included. Such establishments use one or more of the following preparation activities: cooking by frying (all methods), baking (all methods), grilling, sautéing, rotisserie cooking, broiling, boiling, blanching, roasting, toasting, or poaching. Also included are infrared heating, searing, barbequing, and other preparation activity that produces a hot, non-drinkable food product in or on a receptacle that requires washing.

Show All Answers

1. What is FOG?
2. What are the negative impacts of FOG?
3. What is a Grease Control Device?
4. What is a gravity grease interceptor and how does it work?
5. What is hydromechanical grease interceptor and how does it work?
6. What is a Food Service Establishment (FSE)?
7. Do I need a grease control device?
8. Can you recommend a maintenance schedule?
9. Do I have to have any training on proper FOG handling procedures?
10. How can I get in compliance?
11. Do I have to keep any records?
12. What if I don’t install a grease control device?
13. How does the JCSA ensure compliance?
14. Are there any fees or penalties for non-compliance?
15. What are the criteria for inspecting grease control devices?
16. What about using my garbage disposal or use detergent to wash it down the drain?
17. What is the JCSA doing about educating the public?